Weighing your food is a large part of portion control. Do you actually know how much you’re eating? I’m guilty of not always weighing my food. But when I do, I’m always amazed at HOW MUCH food I’m consuming. I might eat a chicken breast and think that I did a good job with my choice, staying within my caloric limit, but then the next day, I weigh a similar chicken breast only to find out that it was 7 or 8 oz instead of the 4 oz I thought I was eating. That’s the difference between 120 calories and 250 calories and that’s a big deal! I have a really bad habit of eating with my eyes rather than eating with my stomach (i.e. My eyes think I can eat an entire Hawaiian pizza. My stomach, on the other hand, knows better).
This is when a food scale comes in handy. I got my hands on a Fraser food scale and instantly loved it. This scale has touch sensitive buttons and pretty awesome accuracy. It’s got different weight options, ranging from 0 ounces to 11 pounds (in grams, ounces, pounds and kilograms). What I really like about it is that I can put a container on the scale, reset the “tare” to 0 and then place my food item in the container and not have to worry about having to do any calculations.
With my old scale, it was an “old school” scale, similar to what you’d use at the grocery store to weigh your produce and it was a pain in the butt because it would always need to be re-calibrated.
Every product has pros and cons and overall this is a pretty darn good scale.
– Flat, easy to clean surface made of tempered glass;
– Can be calibrated to subtract the weight of a container added to it;
– Multiple weight options (oz, grams, lbs. etc.);
– Turns off automatically after 1 minute.
– It’s a little small which doesn’t work for larger food items that you don’t want to have to cut up to fit in a bowl;
– Sometimes, the buttons don’t respond. I’m not sure if it’s because of the tempered glass or just general sensitivity but it can get annoying.
Overall, this is pretty darn good scale. I’d give it a strong 4/5 stars and highly recommend it to help you keep track of what you’re eating.